What Is Wireless Infrastructure?
A wireless network is a platform for enabling enterprise-wide access to an organization’s applications and data.
Wireless infrastructure allows users to take the office with them wherever they go. The wireless network provides employees and guest workers with untethered access to voice, video, data, and applications regardless of their physical location.
With the influx of mobile devices and increase in Wi-Fi connections, organizations are already starting to see a pardigm shift to “wireless by default” and “wired by exception.”
- View Wireless Infrastructure Solution Diagram
How Will Wireless Infrastructure Solutions Benefit My Organization?
A well-designed wireless infrastructure can provide multiple benefits, including:
- Reduced setup time and amount of cable required to outfit a location
- Greater flexibility that allows new and temporary users quick access to the network
- Improved collaboration and productivity
- Easier deployment and relocation
- Increased security
How Can I Help My Organization Embrace Wireless Infrastructure Solutions?
When considering the implementation of a wireless network, it is important to:
- Perform a site survey — Having a third-party perform a site survey can ensure a successful deployment. The site survey can provide a roadmap for designing the optimal wireless network, identify potential interference and coverage issues, and propose solutions to remediate any difficulties.
- Address security concerns — Many believe that wireless networking exposes the organization to greater data security risks. On the contrary, wireless networks authenticate users and encrypt transmitted data making it more secure than a wired line.
What Comprises A Wireless Infrastructure Solution?
Considerations for a wireless network deployment include the following:
|The number of locations, the layout of each building, and user density (concentration of users in a particular area) are all key factors in designing a wireless network.|
Wireless Network Components
|Your physical environment plays a critical role in determining appropriate wireless networking solutions. Environments with heavy vibrations or large amounts of dust and particles in the air—such as manufacturing or warehouse facilities—demand special planning. Potential sources of interference such as thick or metal walls must also be considered. In hospital settings, radiology equipment might conflict with the wireless network signal. Finally, while most wireless networks are used indoors, outdoor deployments must be able to withstand harsh weather conditions.|
|Different applications that you need to transmit—whether voice, data, or video—will determine the bandwidth your wireless network will require and help you establish a viable framework for the wireless infrastructure buildout.|
|Wireless networking management software can assist in the planning and configuration of your wireless network by reporting valuable usage statistics and detecting rogue access points. It can also provide centralized management.|
|Wireless networks can be more secure than wired because they encrypt data being transmitted. However, it is important to employ Data Loss Prevention solutions wherever possible.|
Getting Started With Wireless Infrastructure
Your BELLACOM Account Manager and certified Solution Architects are ready to assist you with every phase of choosing and leveraging the right solution for your IT environment. Our approach includes:
- An initial discovery session to understand your goals, requirements, and budget
- An assessment review of your existing environment and definition of project requirements
- Detailed vendor evaluations, recommendations, future design and proof of concept
- Procurement, configuration, and deployment of the final solution
- Ongoing product lifecycle support